Cryotherapy uses liquid nitrogen with temperatures between -150°C / -180°C to destroy abnormal and diseased tissue. It is a very well established treatment of precancerous cervical changes.
The treatment is quick, painless and effective.
- A probe is applied to the area showig the abnormaalities
- The tissue is destroyed
- Within 1-2 weeks the treated tissue is shed
- Smear test results – no older than 6 months
- Treatment to be carried out soon after the menstrual cycle
- Sexual abstinence till next menstrual cycle
- Avoiding tampons
- Showering rather than taking baths
Cryosurgery is used frequently by dermatologist to treat many skin problems. Liquid nitrogen is sprayed on to the area of skin freezing it. Light freezing causes a peeling, moderate freezing a blistering and hard freezing a scabbing. The most common uses for cryosurgery is to treat warts, seborrheic keratoses and actinic keratoses. It is also used for acne, scars, small benign growths and some skin cancers.